Howick and Pakuranga Times
Botany and Ormiston Times : Botany and Ormiston Times Thursday May 14 2015
www.times.co.nz Botany and Ormiston Times, Thursday, May 14, 2015 — 25 14 3:18 3:46 15 4:17 4:49 16 5:16 5:48 17 6:12 6:44 18 7:06 7:37 19 7:59 8:27 20 8:50 9:15 TIMES JH9950 WINZ Quotes Welcome 33 Wellington St, Howick. Ph 534 4975. Howick Tyres & Alignments Est 1975 Howick Tyres & Alignments Est 1975 Suppliers of EECA Energywise-approved FUEL EFFICIENT TYRES Howick Tyres & Alignments Howick Tyres & Alignments Howick Tyres & Alignments ON WHEEL ALIGNMENTS & WARRANTS OF FITNESS * SPECIALS!* Howick Tyres & Alignments LATEST WHEEL ALIGNMENT EQUIPMENT HAS Howick Tyres & Alignments SPONSORS EAST COASTGUARD volunteers bring more than 7330 people home safely each year. Steve, Terry and Colin were three of those people after a boating accident left them lost at sea in the Firth of Thames for nine hours in January. The three men were left submerged in the churning sea, clinging to their slippery, upturned aluminum hull in complete shock and disbelief. They were flipped out so quickly they didn’t even realise what had happened and found themselves struggling for their lives surrounded by scattered debris from their boat. “ We’d been lost at sea for about eight hours, we were in total darkness, our bodies were freezing and numb,” says Terry. “ We saw vehicle headlights in the distance across the water. It was a car travelling on the coast road. “ We wondered if those people in that car had any idea of the peril we were in. All sorts of things were going through our minds. “For the first two hours we tried to keep each other’s spirits up. Then the next few hours fell silent as we were engulfed in our own thoughts, terrified of what our fate might be. “ We can’t find the words to describe the gratitude and thanks we feel for our rescuers and our wives who raised the alarm. “ We wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for them. “No one ever expects it to happen to them. We are lucky to be alive and we have been eternally thankful every single day since the accident.” This is just one of the 2,800 rescues that 2,326 Coastguard volunteers carry out each year, and the month of May is Coastguard’s annual MayDay appeal, calling for donations to help volunteers continue to save lives at sea such as Steve, Terry and Colin’s. “Coastguard is a charity and only receives 15 per cent of its funds from the government,” says Patrick Holmes, chief executive of Coastguard New Zealand. “ The remaining 85 per cent comes from supportive organisations and individuals who recognise the importance of our work. “MayDay is an important component of our fundraising stream and we rely on public donations so we can continue saving lives at sea. “We’re urging the public to support the vital service we provide by donating at coastguard.co.nz.” “It’s vital to our organisation to raise awareness of the work we do. This year we’re extremely grateful to have Sir Graham Henry on board again as our official ambassador. “He’s a keen boatie himself and a great advocate for safer boating. You’ll be seeing Graham around the traps, spreading our message and encouraging the public of New Zealand to get behind Coastguard this MayDay.” “Coastguard is made up of great volunteers,” says Sir Graham. “ They’re generous Kiwis that have day jobs just like you and I giving up their time to save lives at sea. Coastguard is a great organisation doing great things to keep Kiwis safe on the water. “I really hope New Zealanders get behind this great cause and make a donation this MayDay.” marine safety Coastguard makes MayDay appeal Keen boatie Sir Graham Henry on board as official ambassador Sir Graham Henry with Coastguard chief executive Patrick Holmes. Photo supplied mOre infO What: ➤➤ Coastguard’s Annual MayDay Appeal When: ➤➤ May 1-31, 2015 Coastguard units around ➤➤ the country will be out in force raising awareness and collecting donations.
Botany and Ormiston Times Thursday May 7 2015
Botany and Ormiston Times Thursday May 21 2015